Sunday, April 8, 2012

Just some pictures: More fried rice

I'd suggested making Sundays our fried rice day in a previous entry, and I delivered, sort of.  We had this version of fried rice yesterday, a Saturday.  




Frankly, I was a little disappointed with this result.  The Hubby shared my sentiments.  The kids, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy it very much.  




The kids loved the bright yellow corns, which tasted really sweet and bursting with juice.  These were freshly plucked from the cob, not those from frozen packaging.  My vegetable seller's wife suggested this to me at my last trip to the market.  I have to admit it definitely tasted better than frozen corns.  




The rest of the ingredients included some shredded carrots, Taiwanese chicken sausages which were cubed and some char siew pieces (courtesy of my Mother-in-law).  Judging from the ingredients, I guess this fried rice should turn out pretty fragrant but unfortunately it wasn't how I had expected it.  


It paled so much in comparison to the previous version, in terms of the "dryness" and the amount of aroma each grain of rice had absorbed.


Previous version


The way I made this fried rice is the same, using leftover rice from the previous night, chilled in the fridge.  Yet, this version ended up much wetter (though not soggy).  There were also a few clumps of rice, which I did not manage to loosen, no matter how much I pressed against them or tossed them about in the wok.


I have a feeling it has to do with the way I packed those leftover rice.  The earlier version was packed in those brown paper that were used by economical rice seller.  It was packed rather compactly, and sort of left in the fridge to "dry out".  The leftover rice for this version was loosely packed in a container and similarly left in the fridge.  Perhaps it was not packed compact, and the container had a lot of space left, so the moisture in the rice could not "dry out" completely.  That was how I ended with clumpy and wet/sticky fried rice.  


Are the clumps noticeable?


This calls for an experiment.  I think it can be done next week.  One lot of leftover rice to be compactly packed in brown paper, and another lot loosely in a container.  This should be fun!  


Oh yes, my fried rice always have eggs in it.  It is either added right from the start, or it will be included as garnish in the form of scrambled eggs, like how we have it this time.











No comments:

Post a Comment