Friday, October 28, 2011

Hot pancakes for breakfast

This was what we had for breakfast on Deepavali morning.  The kids had been asking me for pancakes for the longest time, and I had been procrastinating.  I made pancakes once, I think it was last year.  And I didn't like it though my kids said they tasted great.  I got the recipe from the net, as usual.  It's a buttermilk pancake and it wasn't those fluffy pancakes I had thought it would be.  At that time, I added some chocolate chips, so I think that is why the kids loved it.  

For me, pancakes have to be soft and fluffy.  
Don't they look soft and fluffy? 
It should not be too oily or have a strong milky taste.  So I guess the buttermilk pancake didn't work for me.  This recipe however suited my taste.  The kids were thrilled when I announced that I'll be making pancakes.  There is also a bottle of maple syrup that Hubby lugged back home from his business trip.  He is the adventurous hero when it comes to food.  
Anyway, I digress again.  This recipe came from my copy of "Nigella Express".  I had read this recipe many times, but well, the less than pleasant experience with the buttermilk version has put me off pancakes for quite a while.  What's more, milk is the liquid used for this recipe.  I am not a huge fan of milk, so I thought about alternatives.  I didn't think replacing milk with water is going to produce a remotely delectable piece of pancake.  In the end, I settled for soya milk. 
The original recipe is a preparation of "Homemade Instant Pancake Mix" that can produce about 60 pancakes of about 3 inches in diameter.  I don't think I need that much, nor do I think I want to prepare so much pancake mix and store it.  So I did some amateurish reduction to the recipe to make only 15 mini pancakes.

Homemade Pancakes 
(Original recipe from Homemade Instant Pancake Mix in "Nigella Express: Good food, fast", Nigella Lawson, Hyperion, 2007) 

Reduced to suit my quantity preference
(I used a 200ml capacity cup)

Pancake mix
1 cup plain flour, loosely packed (I used 2/3 plain flour, 1/3 Hong Kong flour)
1 tbsp baking powder (I used 1/2 tbsp double-acting baking powder)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar

To make the batter, add the following ingredients to above dry mix and whisk together
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used sweetened soya milk)
1 tbsp butter, melted

Method
1. Prepare the dry pancake mix.  I prepared mine the night before and left it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
2. Beat/Whisk the egg, milk (or soya milk) and melted butter in a bowl.
3. Tip the dry pancake mix into a large bowl, add the wet mixture from (2) and whisk until no lumps are visible.  Gently whisking will suffice.
4. Heat a dry griddle or pan.  I used a frying pan, and there is no need to oil it.
5. Spoon 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of batter onto the hot pan.  When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, flip them over to make them golden brown on both sides.  My frying pan is 28cm, so I could make 3 pancakes each time.  The pancakes take about 1 minute aside to be cooked and browned.
6. The amount of batter should be able to produce 15 pancakes if the number of spoonfuls for each pancake is adhered.

The kids had a lot of fun eating these mini snacks and drizzling them all over with maple syrup.  In fact, I had fun eating them too!  It was fluffy and the slightly smokiness of the sweet maple syrup just taste so good with it.  And no milky taste to deal with.  This recipe is a keeper.  I don't the kids need to wait that long for their next pancake fix.  In fact, I had already thought about making some rolled pancakes with peanut butter filling...

No comments:

Post a Comment