Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday's Special #2: Slow cooking Easy sausage and beans

My first slow cooker was a lucky-draw gift that I had won at my Hubby's annual company dinner.  That was at least 7 years ago.  It is a 1.5L cute little cooker, small enough to simmer soup for two.  That is exactly what I did with my prize.  Made soups and the occasional dessert of white fungus, pears and almonds.  But as the family got bigger, my prize cooker could not handle the amount I needed to make.  So I bought another cooker, a whooping 5.2L at Hubby's suggestion.  His rationale is that it is better to get something bigger.  There will be more space to make more.  This will come in handy when the kids grow older and need to eat more.  But the problem with slow cookers is that the inner pot has to be at least half filled for best result.  Can you imagine the amount if this 5.2L is filled to half its capacity?  It proved to be too spacious for a family of four.  Because the 5.2L cooker is wider in circumference, I find that my ingredients always looked like they are having a swim in a giant pool.  The kitchen counter top looked pretty crowded too.  
I have finally settled on a 3.2L slow cooker, and had made simmered soup many times, much to my girl's delight.  She loves soup, and the white fungus with pear and almond dessert. However, I felt that I could make better use of this slow cooker, apart from just making soup and the one and only dessert. 
Yes, I know that the slow cooker comes with an operating manual and a couple of recipes.  The problem with me is that I basically ignore all forms of operating manuals and that inevitably included the recipe.  It was not until recently when I chanced upon a book called "The Complete Slow Cooker" that I realized that you could cook up a feast with a slow cooker.  Of course I borrowed the book.  How else would I be able to make something out of it and share the recipe here?  But this "discovery" (a bit late isn't it, but better late than never, I'd like to think) led to another.  I finally pulled out the operating manual and flipped to the recipe portion.  They looked do-able; in fact I tried one earlier in the week which I'll be putting that up later.  But since it's Friday, I reckon I should do Friday's Special first before it joins the queue in the draft list.
This slow cooking meal was meant to be a hearty start for the day: breakfast. But most of the time, we do not take heavy breakfast.  So I've decided that it will be our dinner.  I chose it because I think my kids will love it.  It has baked beans, 2x410g of baked beans (that's two cans)!  I think they will go crazy at dinner time.  Actually, though the recipe said baked beans, I am not sure if it meant baked beans in tomato sauce, like those we have here in Singapore.  For me, baked beans in tomato sauce is the only type of baked beans I know, so this is it for me. 
See the frankfurt at the back?  It's only 250g so I added
some Japanese sausages that is rich in smoky flavor
Frankfurt is another ingredient that got me scratching my head.  My hubby asked me if I could use hot dogs.  And my reply was: "I don't think it's hot dogs, like those that we wedge between a hot dog bun.  I think it's those raw sausages."  ^_^  Country bumpkin I am!  Frankfurt is hot dog!  A search on Google yielded results showing images after images of hot dogs of various sizes.  Okay, hot dogs it will be.  At least this country bumpkin learned something.  At least I know the country of origin is Germany...
It's a slow cooking dish, to be simmered on LOW for 9-10 hours.  Yup, eyes not playing tricks there.  Nine to ten hours.  Remember, it was meant to be a breakfast dish.  Prepare it the night before, whack the whole thing into the slow cooker and forget about it until you wake up the next day.  Sounds like a good deal doesn't it?  The heat is low and gentle, no danger of liquid boiling over or scorching while you visit dreamland.  The main ingredients, baked beans and frankfurts, are already cooked and ready to eat, there is no danger of under-cooking.  I put the whole dish together this morning, left it in the cooker and went about my chores.  Went out to get some bread as I intended to pair this with some toast.  Came back with a country loaf, as I loved the rolled oats dotting the whole loaf.  Think I'll toast this, drizzled with some olive oil and a sprinkling of dried oregano.  Maybe some coleslaw would be good, we need vegetables.  There are some cabbage, carrots and apples waiting to be used in the fridge...


Easy sausage and beans
(Recipe from "The Complete Slow Cooker: Packed with recipes, techniques and tips", Sara Lewis, Hamlyn, 2010)
Ingredients
1 tbsp sunflower oil (I used corn oil)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (I omitted)
2 x 410g cans baked beans
2 tsp wholegrain mustard (I used fine wholegrain mustard)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
6 tbsp vegetable stock (I just used water)
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped (I used about 10 cherry tomatoes, halved those large ones)
1/2 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
350g chilled frankfurters, thickly sliced
salt and pepper


Method
(Note: Some slow cookers need to be preheated, do so if necessary, check manufacturer's handbook for information)
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.
2. Stir in the paprika (if you are using) and cook for 1 minute.  Mix in the beans, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and stock (I used water, about 90ml).  
3. Bring to the boil, then stir in the tomatoes, red pepper and a little salt and pepper (I did not add in any more salt as I felt that the baked beans is adequately salted).
This is how my bean mixture looked like.
4. Add the frankfurters to the slow cooker pot and tip the baked bean mixture over the top.  Cover with the lid and cook on low for 9-10 hours or overnight.


That will be all for the time being.  Will be back to add more photos of the end result plus my coleslaw and toasts.
28 Oct 2011, 15:50hr

The frankfurts and beans had their full 9 hours.  Time for the unveiling.  This is how the dish looks like.


My photo-taking skills cannot do justice to the flavor of this dish.  Despite being subjected to heat (albeit at a gentle temperature), the beans did not turn mushy, the tomatoes and red pepper are soft and juicy.  I was afraid the long hours of simmering would make the frankfurts soft and soggy.  I should have more faith in the recipe and the wonderful gentle heat of slow cookers at LOW.  The frankfurts still retain a slight crunchiness and remained filled with smoky flavor.
For the toast that I mentioned earlier in the day, I simply drizzled them with some olive oil and sprinkled on dry oregano before shoving them into a hot oven at 220degC to toast for about 5 minutes.  

When I was toasting them, I got the kids to help with setting the table.  Both of them walked into the kitchen and ran out into the dining area excitedly: "Mummy! Mummy! The kitchen smelled like pizza!" said the Tiny Man.  The girl shared his observation.  I walked back into the kitchen and almost burst out laughing.  They were right. The kitchen did smell like pizza baking away.  The scent from the mixture of olive oil and oregano heating up in the oven is irresistible.

Coleslaw was prepared about 30 minutes before our dinner.  I used a quarter of a head of cabbage, slicing it very thinly.  One small carrot coarsely shredded and two small Fuji apples, cut into very fat match-stick size.  The dressing is equally simple. 

Coleslaw dressing
3 tbsp low fat yoghurt
1/2 tsp fine wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
a tiny bit (okay, about 1/2 tsp) maple syrup, this is optional  

I love the color of this coleslaw, a tinge of green here and there amidst a generous sprinkling of orange.  The apples offered additional sweetness and refreshing crunch.

Assembling all three dishes together, this is what we had for Friday's Special tonight.  The hubby had 3 helpings.  I guess this is the best indication that this slow cooking meal is a keeper and a success.


28 October 2011, 21:25hr

No comments:

Post a Comment